Hello,

On 14 January 2020, staff at the Wikimedia Foundation discovered that a data
file exported from the Wikimedia Phabricator installation, our engineering task
and ticket tracking system, had been made publicly available. The file was
leaked accidentally; there was no intrusion. We have no evidence that it was
ever viewed or accessed. The Foundation's Security team immediately began
investigating the incident and removing the related files. The data dump
included limited non-public information such as private tickets, login access
tokens, and the second factor of the two-factor authentication keys for
Phabricator accounts.  Passwords and full login information for Phabricator
were not affected -- that information is stored in another, unaffected system.

The Security team has investigated and assesses that there is no known impact
from this incident. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are resetting
all Two-Factor Authentication keys for Phabricator and invalidating the exposed
login access tokens. Additionally, we continue to encourage people to engage in
online security best practices, such as keeping your software updated and
resetting your passwords regularly.

The Foundation will continue to investigate this incident and take steps to
prevent it from occurring again in the future. In the meantime, Phabricator is
online and functioning normally. We regret any inconvenience this may have
caused and will provide updates if we learn of any further impact.

Respectfully,

David Sharpe
Senior Information Security Analyst
Wikimedia Foundation