Sometimes, instead of patrolling recent changes for vandalism, I'll change
the filter to "good faith edits" and "unregistered". A lot of edits made
under IP addresses are constructive, and I send out welcomes that way. I
also check my watchlist and welcome people. I like using the thank button
as well, and give wikilove (to new and experienced editors). I find that
reachng out to a newbie with a personal message along the lines of "you're
doing a good work and I noticed that" is usually fairly well-recieved.