Hi all,

Jorge Vargas, WMF's Sr. Manager for Regional Partnerships here. Wanted to
quickly chime in to mention that as several folks on this list know, WMF
has been more proactive in the past year or so to build bridges with UN
agencies to see how they can better support our movement and have a more
coordinated/holistic approach, in addition, and in collaboration with all
the amazing local and regional efforts already taking place and being led
by affiliates worldwide.

One immediate result (and thanks to work supported by John Cummings and
Wikimedia Argentina) we have been working closely with UN Human Rights [1]
to support ongoing and future efforts to distribute and create content
related to human rights (#WikiForHumanRights, with more info on this post
[2] and meta [3]), and now their support to gender-related initiatives like
the WIkiGapChallenge [4]). All of this to say that part of that agreement
was starting to navigate how to get more UN-copyrighted content on a free
license (starting with content from UN Human Rights, but broadening the
scope to other agencies).

Part of this work has been understanding the complexity to navigate
decision-making within the UN system for things like copyright ownership
and licensing of content. From our understanding so far, even if a UN
agency (like UN Human Rights or UNICEF) wants to free up content, a
decision needs to happen from the UN Publications Office in NY (an
exception to this are decentralized agencies, like UNESCO, who can make
that call themselves). We have been lobbying with UN Publications Office to
better understand where they stand, but as mentioned, when they do use a
free license, they include an NC clause by default.

I want to take this opportunity to rally ongoing efforts, approaches, etc
being done by folks reading this. Ping me here or off-thread if you'd like
to share more of what you've done so far (I'll follow up with you James!
Thanks for already taking the lead in contacting WHO before). Ideally,
mapping what stakeholders are on the table right now and what past
conversations have happened will help us make progress in getting traction
as we and the movement at large continue the conversation.

Feel free to reach out anytime if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks!
Jorge

[1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/16/wikimedia-and-un-human-rights-partner-to-expand-wikipedias-knowledge/