Mentioning the first two points can be either red herring or an interesting
digression to read, I'll opt for the second interpretation.

The International Committee of the Red Cross had a global budget of $1.6
> billion in 2016.

Quite a rilevant comparison, I'd say.

Discussions on this mailing list and elsewhere are a classic example of the
> concept of voice, as formalized by Albert Hirschman in his work on
> but reluctant to simply exit the group, either because we don't
> see an alternative, or because of the sunk costs of emotional investment,
> or because of the sense of identity that comes with belonging to the group,
> or because ultimately we can live with the decision. And so, with exit not
> available as an option, we use our voice instead, even though it has proved
> to only have a very limited effect on making different decisions. (And also
> because we *do* love to argue.)

"Cope or go away" in this context is interesting rather than simply rude
highlighting some widespread misconception about what is the most
interesting part of the Wiki-ecosystem for the majority of people around.

So now we're left with how we raise money, and the common complaints about
> the size, frequency, and tone of fundraising banners. The argument is that
> fundraising messages use unduly alarmist language, and that donors are
> therefore misled into thinking that Wikimedia is facing imminent danger. I
> do believe that not enough credit is given to the people who craft those
> messages in banners and emails. These people care an extraordinary amount
> about doing the "right thing." They have literally spent years doing A/B
> tests to soften the tone and figure out the least alarming language
> possible to raise the required amounts. All that while enduring constant
> criticism of their work. They are heroes.

They don't do the "right thing", instead, they do the "most effective
thing". Also, * to raise the required amounts* is not true, given that
targets were always exceeded.

>  if we look beyond privileged communities and we strive to make up for
> historical oppression. The modesty of financial ambitions reflects a
> certain privilege and ignores the vast resources required to actually focus
> on communities left out by structures of power and privilege. If we are to
> live up to our commitment to epistemic justice, we must give ourselves the
> financial means to do so. The longer the injustice persists, the more
> compounding harm is done. Our work *is* urgent, even if it's not the same
> urgency that drives donors.

There we go with this strawman, once again. Totally unrelated to how
donations are asked, definitely unrelated to how funds are currently
allocated.

Summing up a long, brilliant, essay to justify ambiguity in banners.

Vito