Apart from mindless news sources that regurgitated the Christies PR, more
recent journalism has in the headlines "triggers controversy", "editors
very mad", "some Wikipedians are pissed".

Of these, the presentation by Slate seems even-handed good quality
journalism, presenting the facts, the community response and getting direct
comments from Wales and the Wikimedia Foundation.

It seems unlikely that the Wikimedia Foundation board, the WMF governance
team, or the new Chief Executive could say that they handled this well, or
gave one of their own Trustees good advice. Many will flag this as an
obvious failure by the WMF board of trustees to be seen to exercise good
governance over their brand and reputation, certainly, it's not a "success".

References for quoted headlines:
*
https://slate.com/technology/2021/12/jimmy-wales-birth-of-wikipedia-nft-auction.html
*