Greetings and salutations.

I am also excited and inspired by the release of the Human Rights Policy and on
the occasion of Human Rights Day, wanted to contribute to this intriguing
conversation.

Addressing the conflicts between the different policy instruments and their
constitutive provisions, international human rights law and advocacy is a
constant exercise in the balancing of rights, liberties, and other protections.
I think isolating the right to a 'just and favorable remuneration clause’ from
Article 23 itself and the Declaration of Human Rights as a whole is misleading,
at the very least confusing. (See
http://www.claiminghumanrights.org/work_definition.html
<http://www.claiminghumanrights.org/work_definition.html> for more context).
For a discussion faithful to the protection of human rights as an objective,
and as a North Star - the issues related to volunteer work need to also
incorporate the distinctions within the international human rights regime
generally and policy instruments identified specifically.

The fundamental values of the right to work protections are primarily about
discrimination amongst workers, and the support for societal protections of
public benefits explicitly directed at state actors in relationship to
citizens. The public policy issues specifically contemplated for work without
pay is focused on forced labor, underaged labor, and as also mentioned in this
thread - about the rights to collective bargaining. Distinctions regarding work
towards public goods vs. private goods, modalities of motivation and reputation
economies, household labor and volunteer expectations of paid employees are
some starting points for thinking this through. An interpretation of the
remuneration clause however requiring pay for all productive labor is not only
untenable, but also in conflict with the recognition of various UN bodies of
the importance and necessity of volunteer work to the progress towards
sustainable development goals.

I do not intend to dismiss the admittedly complex considerations of open
knowledge/open source economics was they relate to human rights. Not being a
regular contributor to these discussions, I chime in because I agree that these
questions shouldn’t be ignored. The foundational contribution in the issuance
of Wikimedia's Human Rights Policy in fact enables the serious consideration of
how these tensions play out in context, rather than minimizing them.

There are likely other places one might start, but it seems to me that the
International Labor Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and
Right to Work (https://www.ilo.org/declaration/lang--en/index.htm
<https://www.ilo.org/declaration/lang--en/index.htm>), identified as one of the
core instruments in the Human Rights Policy, seem most promising. The related
ILO "Resolution concerning statistics of work, employment, and labor
underutilization”
(https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---stat/documents/normativeinstrument/wcms_230304.pdf

<https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---stat/documents/normativeinstrument/wcms_230304.pdf>)
 (Oct., 2013) is instructive in parsing out the above referenced distinctions.
The ILO Volunteer Work Measurement Guide
(https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---stat/documents/publication/wcms_789950.pdf

<https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---stat/documents/publication/wcms_789950.pdf>)
 (May, 2021) further guides how to operationalize these principles. The UN
Handbook on Non-Profit Institutions in the System of National Accounts
(https://unstats.un.org/unsd/publication/seriesf/seriesf_91e.pdf
<https://unstats.un.org/unsd/publication/seriesf/seriesf_91e.pdf>) is also
helping in getting to greater clarity and deliberative consensus.

Congratulations again to the Wikimedia communities for this important public
step and commitment to global leadership on respect for human rights.

Thanks,
Eddan