Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

Sam makes some great points and suggestions. Indeed, the Movement’s free
knowledge agenda is about freedom *to* which is why the first sentence of the
policy says: “The Wikimedia Movement’s vision—of a world in which every single
human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge—both relies upon and
enables human rights. “ [1]

As I stated in the conversation hour [2], the Foundation urgently needs such a
policy in order to meet our responsibility to protect members of our community
from real, growing threats in the world. More governments are increasingly
aggressive about trying to control and manipulate information spaces, including
Wikimedia projects, and to threaten people who act to share knowledge, and
govern free knowledge projects independently of their governments’
requirements. At the same time, as the Foundation globalizes and as the
Movement works actively to increase participation across the world, a growing
percentage of people who we are bringing into the projects are living in places
where contributing to free knowledge projects is more difficult or dangerous
than it is for people in North America or Western Europe or other places where
the projects have the largest number of long-time volunteers. For this among
other reasons, we believe it is urgent to have a policy that clearly
articulates the Foundation’s responsibility to actively work to understand how
our platforms and operations affect the rights of everyone who interacts with
the projects, how we will work to mitigate threats and harms to members of the
movement, and how we will work with people across the Movement to implement
these policies over the coming years. We don’t believe that our responsibility
to respect, protect and promote human rights is up for negotiation.

That said, as Ricky and I wrote in the blog post [3], the Foundation is
absolutely committed to a long term process, in partnership with volunteers,
extending into the coming months and years well beyond this thread, to discuss
all the different ways in which the policy should be implemented.

There is a lot to digest in the responses we have received, not just on this
thread but also from other volunteers who have reached out in different ways.
We are compiling all of the suggestions and questions. We hope that we can find
a number of ways to hold both real-time and asynchronous conversations, perhaps
broken down by specific topics and concerns. In any case, we look forward to
the concrete steps that need to be taken not only to implement the policy but
to connect it to many other existing efforts that are all - fundamentally -
about different aspects of human rights as Sam rightly points out.

Thanks so much and have a great weekend.
Rebecca

[1] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Policy:Human_Rights_Policy
[2]
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Conversation_Hour_for_Human_Rights_Policy_Launch.webm