I have been working on the UCoC about as long as anybody, if not as
intensely as some. Hence, I have some confidence in saying that it is the
Foundation's role to shepherd the Movement Strategy recommendation to
reality in creating a baseline of behavioral standards that are
movement-wide. *I* have opinions about what is and is not good conduct and
how conduct can and should be reinforced, but the Code of Conduct was not
written to reflect *my* opinions *or* the Foundation's - the drafting
committee was a disparate group working to incorporate the feedback of
volunteers and staff from all across the movement.

The questions you raise strike me as very good discussion good points for
the planned future policy review. Policies run into gray areas unless they
are so generic as to be toothless. We will occasionally have hard
conversations in application when we discover unintended or negative
consequences.  This is not a new challenge to the movement. I think it's
one of the things Wikimedia does rather well.

In terms of  "in good faith" and "is malicious" - my understanding of
malice from both a linguistic and legal sense is that it includes the
*intent* to do harm. Beyond that, while your question "How can they be
prevented from inserting erroneous material without causing them to doubt
their own perceptions etc. in a way that they may well – in good faith – is
malicious?" - seems to have lost a verb or two perhaps, I think what you
are asking is how people can be prevented from inserting material without
maliciously causing them to doubt their own perceptions: [[WP:V]] and
[[WP:NPOV]] do not require malice in calling for consensus-defined reliable
sources and avoiding fringe material. That said, again, this strikes me as
a discussion for the future policy review, and if actual issues arise in
the meantime I have no doubt discussion will happen.

Best,
Maggie