From: James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 12:57 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Re: Tool to find articles to create or improve in
non-English Wikipedias

Very nice Amir. We have built a somewhat similar tool specifically to
help guide translation of healthcare related content

https://mdwiki.toolforge.org/Translation_Dashboard/index.php

Some of the additional functionality is that it integrates with the
content translation tool, automatically collects data around the
number of translations completed to create a leaderboard, and fixes /
makes a bunch of minor adjustments after the translation is done.

Our tool is based on categories, rather than an entire Wikiproject, as
we wanted the ability to manually determine which articles are on the
English side of the list. This allows us to make sure the English
content is of high quality before it is proposed for translation.

Best
James

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 3:31 AM Amir Sarabadani <ladsgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> TLDR: There is now a tool that gives you list of articles to improve or
> create based on WikiProjects of English Wikipedia. For example, articles of
> top importance in WikiProject Mathematics that are missing or short in Azeri
> Wikipedia:
> https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=az&topic=Mathematics&importance=Top
>
> (I'm sorry for spamming your mailboxes, but I couldn't find a place to bring
> this up that would be more fitting.)
>
> This tool basically gets the list of articles of a given wikiproject of a
> given importance and tells you which ones are missing are below 10K bytes in
> the given target language.
>
> For example:
>
> For WikiProject Physics and target of Hungarian Wikipedia, you get [2] saying
> article of Speed is missing while existing in 79 wikis and article of
> Molekulapálya [3] is the shortest article of this importance with ~700 bytes.
> For Wikiproject Poland and target of Dutch Wikipedia, you get [1] saying
> article of "Ignacy Mościcki" is missing in Dutch Wikipedia while existing in
> 38 other languages (and many more articles to create or improve)
> For Wikiproject Computer Science and target of Vietnamese Wikipedia, you get
> [4] saying article of "Alonzo Church" exists in 50 wikipedias but not in
> Vietnamese Wikipedia (and more articles to create or improve in field of
> computer science)
> and many more but you get the idea.
>
> It is not perfect, for example the concept of importance and what articles
> belong to them is not perfect but it's better than nothing.
>
> I personally find this useful in events and editathons where a newcomer asks
> "I'm interested in topic X what can I do?" and you can give them at least
> something to work on. Or for small or medium wikis to find gaps in their
> content in given topics.
>
> Noting that there are more than 2,800 WikiProjects in English Wikipedia, the
> topics to pick are quite broad. From Olivia Roderigo [5] to Rome [6] to Soap
> Operas [7] to Trains [8]. Hope that'd be useful for you.
>
> If anyone is feeling comfortable to help maintain or add features to it,
> please let me know. I wrote this in four or five hours, it's quite basic and
> more of a PoC of what it could become.
>
> [1] https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=nl&topic=Poland&importance=Top
> [2] https://whattodo.toolforge.org/?lang=hu&topic=Physics&importance=Top
> [3] https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molekulap%C3%A1lya

> [...]