From: Asaf Bartov <asaf.bar...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2023 7:13 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Re: Tool to find articles to create or improve in
non-English Wikipedias

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 8:49 PM Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga
<galder...@hotmail.com<mailto:galder...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
Toolhub is still something external!

Let me introduce the point: the Research team has been working in great tools
to help with editing. They made an exciting showcase in Wikimania. None of them
are reachable while editing.

We are here in the same case: the translate tool could accomodate a suggestion
button that feeds from the varied tools we have.

I agree. To me it has always seemed odd that Mediawiki's *core interface* has
no large friendly button called "Tools".  It could lead by default to
project-space:Tools, i.e. to Wikipedia:Tools on Wikipedia. From then on, it's
up to the community to curate the page usefully, probably including explaining
about Toolforge and directing to its various directory meta-tools.  But it's
that first *invitation* and *discoverability* of the very notion of tools
that's missing, for even some experienced editors.

If some people agree, perhaps they'd be interested in starting a discussion on
Mediawiki.org making the case for it, addressing the (inevitable) objections
people may have, discussing the design and location of the button, etc. I don't
know if the Foundation's Product team has thoughts about this, but even if it
is not currently on any team's roadmap, it can be useful to work out a proposal
with broad community support for how it could be done. The actual
implementation would be technically simple, and mostly a question of the skin
design: location, spacing, mobile, etc.

   A.