Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 17:55:15 -0700
From: kgor...@gmail.com
To: wikimedia-sf@lists.wikimedia.org
CC: merri...@merrilee.org; p...@wikistrategies.net
Subject: [Wikimedia-SF] editathon tomorrow at the Berkeley Student
Cooperative

Hi all -
I announced this on the list a couple weeks ago, but figured I'd make a second
announcement now.  I'll be hosting an editathon at Hoyt Hall, one of the
Berkeley Student Cooperative's all-women houses.  It'll be at 2519 Ridge Road
in Berkeley from 3-6pm, with a primary audience of co-opers and Berkeley
students, although anyone is welcome to attend.  The event will generally be
themed around women's history and our gendergap, with an especial focus on
improving Wikipedia's coverage of prominent women in the history of the
cooperative movement.

The attendance of a few extra experienced Wikipedians would be especially
appreciated (I do realize that, unfortunately, I cross-scheduled with the
iconathon at WMF :).)  We had originally intended for this to be a 15-20 person
event which I would be comfortably able to facilitate myself, but it's looking
like we may have as many as 70 or 80 people show up - so having a few extra
experienced Wikipedians beyond what we already have floating to help make sure
everything is running smoothly would be awesome.

Most of the participants will be students, and many of them will never have
edited Wikipedia before.  From talking to some of them, many of them haven't
even previously realized that Wikipedia is something that can be edited.  In
other words, they are pretty much our target outreach demographic :)

If you're interested in helping out on the administrative side, please feel
free to drop me a note tonight or to show up an hour or so early tomorrow so
we'll be able to hammer out the last details of a gameplan.  I'll definitely
have a list of target articles for improvement and intro to Wikipedia resources
present, but don't have an as thoroughly laid out plan as I'd like to handle an
event of this size - I ended up spending half this week just fixing Hoyt's
network problems and installing extra capacity so that we'd actually be able to
have this many extra laptops on the wireless without everything going kaboom.

Regardless of how well the event tomorrow goes, there will likely be a number
of themed editathons at BSC house in the future.  I'll ensure that none of
those wind up being cross-scheduled :)

Thanks,Kevin Gorman