Generally, each bank around the world has a "SWIFT" code. The SWIFT code is
a unique identifier for each bank for international money transfers. For
example, the Commonwealth Bank is CTBAAU2S.

Usually all that someone would need to provide to their bank to make an
international transfer is the SWIFT code, the BSB and the Account number for
an Australian bank. (Other countries use different variations on a BSB - for
example, the UK use a Sort Code, the US use an ABA number).

On a side note, to send money to a bank in the EU a SWIFT code (known as a
BIC there) is not enough. You need to supply an IBAN number, which is a
combination of a Country Code, SWIFT/BIC, Sort Code (depending on country),
Account Number and a check digit.

--

Nick Perkins

superni...@gmail.com