I'm sure you've all heard by now, cause the internet's abuzz, but just in case
- the Wikimedia<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home> community has
officially voted<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Result> to add
a Creative Commons licence to all their wikis. The
Attribution-ShareAlike<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/> (BY-SA)
licence, to be exact.

This is possibly the biggest Creative Commons development since it launched in
2002, and great boon to the free culture community. As I pointed out in my
means is that the Wikimedia wikis will now be dual licensed under both BY-SA
and the GNU Free Documentation
Licence<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License> (GFDL -
which Wikimedia currently uses), giving people moving material to and from the
wikis the ability choose which licence they want to use. This means that the 6
million+ articles available on Wikipedia<http://www.wikipedia.org/> and
Wikimedia's other wikis (including Wiktionary<http://wiktionary.org/>,
Wikinews<http://www.wikinews.org/>, and Wikiquote<http://www.wikiquote.org/>)
will be able to be more easily combined with the 160 million+ works that use
Creative Commons licences.

This is the result of a lot of effort by Wikimedia, the Free Software
Foundation<http://www.fsf.org/> (who manage the GFDL) and Creative Commons,
which involved amending licences, public consultation, and finally a vote by
the Wikimedia community about whether they wanted the change. This
vote<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Result> ended yesterday
and came up heavily in Creative Commons' favour, with 88% of people with an
opinion voting to add the BY-SA licence (10% of voters said they didn't have an
opinion). The vote's decision was then approved by the Wikimedia Foundation
Board of Trustees and confirmed in a press
release<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Dual_license_vote_May_2009>
 last night, which quote CC's founder, Lawrence Lessig, as saying:

[Free Software Foundation President] Richard Stallman's commitment to the cause
of free culture has been an inspiration to us all. Assuring the
interoperability of free culture is a critical step towards making this freedom
work. The Wikipedia community is to be congratulated for its decision, and the
Free Software Foundation thanked for its help. I am enormously happy about this
decision.

Hear hear from CCau!

Jessica Coates
Project Manager