Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, (wikimedia-au,
chapters-cultural-partnerships, foundation-l)

The event that you have (hopefully) heard about, "Galleries, Libraries,
Archives, Museums and Wikimedia: finding the common ground" is coming along
apace!

This is a Wikimedia Australia event, a world first for the Wikimedia
movement, to bring together the cultural sector with the Wikimedia community
to work out ways we can better collaborate I hope that it will form the
basis for a long and productive global conversation over the years. It is to
be held in Canberra at the Australian National War Memorial on the first
Thursday and Friday of August. Did I mention it's free?

See all the details here: glam.wikimedia.org.au
(a tentative schedule will be published soon)

Simply put - interest from the GLAM sector has been fantastic. In the one
week since the registrations opened we have now allocated 25% of the seats
(since about 10 minutes ago). This includes several federal government
politicians/their advisers, directors of major institutions, representatives
of national peak bodies and people from at least 4 countries. Seriously -
I'm actually getting registration emails every few minutes at the moment,
from some BIG names...

But! The number of Wikimedians for those people to discuss the finer points
with are still quite small. I really hope we can put on a good showing and
demonstrate the diversity of skills and level of engagement in our
community. Just as much as I hope the GLAM sector will learn from us, I hope
that we can learn from them - and this required 2-way participation.

So - if you have an interest in the cultural sector, and can make it to
Canberra, Australia you would be most welcome to attend. If you can't,
perhaps you'd like to follow along at the "Museums & Wikimedia" Museum3.0
Ning <http://museum30.ning.com/group/museumswikimedia> page. If on twitter
please use the phrase "GLAM-WIKI <http://twitter.com/#search?q=GLAM-WIKI>"
(with the hyphen).

Sincerely,
(a very excited, and a little bit scared) Liam [[witty lama]]
VP Wikimedia Australia

--
wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata