I was fully intending to be there but had to rush home at the last minute..
I'll be at the next one, and I'll stay out past 10pm. Possibly as late as
10:30.

Dave.  (User:Borofkin)

From: wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimediaau-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of private
musings
Sent: Wednesday, 5 August 2009 3:30 PM
To: Wikimedia-au
Subject: [Wikimediaau-l] Sydney Met

G'day all,

I thought I'd write a brief note about last night's Sydney meetup :-)

It was great to welcome Mathias and Jennifer (from the german chapter, and
the wikimedia foundation respectively) to Sydney - and we had a really good
turnout (even though some of the better looking wiki types chose to make a
late entrance ;-) - The Belgian Beer cafe lived up to its name, and lively
conversation, as well as the eponymous drinks flowed swimmingly. There were
a fair few folk attending their first meetup, and hopefully not their last -
we covered a wide range of topics, from the upcoming GLAM festival, through
to how we, as a chapter, can better communicate our social / informal events
such as last night - apparently many wiki types in Sydney were entirely
unaware of both meetups and the chapter!

All seemed to me to anticipate an extremely interesting, and rewarding
'GLAM' conference on Thurs / Fri - and of course it's particularly timely
given the recent legal issues between the National Portrait Gallery, and a
wiki contributor - perhaps Australia can lead the way in actually building
relationships, and supporting dialog :-) I'm one of the folk who would like
to attend, but just can't get away - something I intended to raise last
night, but forgot, was to ask about the possibilities of participating
remotely - I wonder if there's any infrastructure for webcasting any of the
event - or participating via IRC, or Skype, or something? I may not be the
only person interested....

All in all a great meet - although having arrived late, this Private muse
was prepared to kick on beyond the 10pm most folk headed back to their
beds... probably for the best :-)

cheers,

Peter,
PM.