The main problem I found in Perth is that people just do not want to join
something that they don't feel part of, that they see as remote. I am in
fact the only person who was a member at both 2008-09 and 2009-10 AGMs - we
lost four members during the year, although we gained two so I'm not all
lonely over here.

What we need to do I think is (just off the top of my head, so this isn't
too refined)

* For areas where we have members (preferably two or more), they come up
with a project idea. e.g. the local museum, library, whatever.
* We talk to the people or groups that had successful strategies
(Powerhouse, QM, various others), and talk to them about what worked
* The Committee makes a list of the sorts of things we can say, sorts of
things we can't say based on our constitution, mission and any legal or
other constraints. Make sure we promote our mission, while not promising
anything we can't deliver.
* Create an area on the Wiki that each can use for collaboration, and a
central page for discussion and questions
* Link up with CC and other like minded places to get more local people on
board
* Each group then goes to try and get their project happening
* We celebrate their successes when and where they occur, and provide
encouragement for those who need it (some will come easy due to cooperation
on the other side but others will hit brick walls or maybe even need to get
new projects, that's a given)

This way we have a multi-pronged, member-driven pathway of "getting runs on
the board" in various areas around Australia which can then be used to
expand membership and interest in the chapter. We won't be seen as overly
focused on the major cities as we'll have little lights going on all over
the country, possibly in some quite unexpected places.

What do others think about this sort of strategy?

cheers
Andrew