Since the Ideascale site is now closed, I'll post my latest big idea here:

One of the biggest gripes that Wikimedians and other "open content"
fans have had in recent years is the issue of claiming copyright over
retouched and/or digitised versions of public domain content. Since we
would probably not want to determine the copyright status of such
items via an NPG-style lawsuit, should we be engaging with politicians
to develop clearer copyright laws?

Obviously this would require further conversation with the GLAM
sector, who would generally be on the side of having such things be
copyrightable, but at least if the copyright status of digitised
replicas of PD works was legislatively determined then we would all
know where we stood with the law rather than the iffy case of "We
claim it's PD but if it came to court the judge could swing the other
way" we have now.

CM