Hi everyone,

On Saturday May 8 Brianna informed the committee of her intention to resign
as president of Wikimedia Australia. As a result, we convened a special
purpose teleconference on Sunday night and, with deep regret, the committee
reluctantly accepted Brianna's resignation.

Brianna has been a president of integrity and her dedication and leadership
will be greatly missed by all members of the committee. She has served on
Wikimedia Australia's committee since its inception and her work was
especially significant and important in the early history of the chapter. I
don't think it's an overstatement to say that without her, the chapter would
not have been successfully established at that time. As secretary of an
interim committee that had no president or vice president, she played a
critical role in ensuring Wikimedia Australia was established and recognised
as an official chapter and legal entity by both the government of Victoria
and the Wikimedia Foundation. She is very highly regarded and respected in
the international community and I was staggered by the number of people who
approached me at the Wikimedia Foundation meeting in Germany last month to
ask after her. I hope that she will continue to be a significant presence in
the both the global and local Wikimedia and free culture communities. We
sincerely thank her for the tremendously valuable and important contribution
she has made over the last four years to the chapter, the committee and to
the free culture movement in Australia and we wish her all the best for her
future endeavours.

During the committee's teleconference on Sunday night, nominations for the
seat of president were opened. Steve Peters, our sitting treasurer, accepted
a nomination from me for president. No further nominations were received and
Steve's nomination was unanimously endorsed and supported. Steve will take
the seat of president effective immediately and lead us into the next Annual
General Meeting. This, of course, means that we now have a vacant seat on
the committee. The Rules of the Association allows the committee to appoint
a financial chapter member from outside the committee to a vacant
non-executive/ordinary member* *seat. Two committee members (Brian and Liam)
are currently in the UK attending the Wikimedia Foundation's fundraising
meeting, which has made it very difficult to organise a proper meeting but
we are continuing to discuss these issues internally and will decide whether
to leave the seat vacant until the AGM or seek to fill it under the
Association Rules.The membership will be advised as soon as any decisions
are made in regard to these issues.

I hope Wikimedia Australia's membership, friends and supporters will join
with the committee in thanking Brianna for her dedication and hard work over
the last four years and in wishing her all the best for the futuer.

Regards,
Sarah Ewart
Secretary
Wikimedia Australia