Forwarding from foundation-l,
A reminder that scholarship applications for Wikimania are closing soon. As a
past recipient of this scholarship I would like to strongly recommend that
anyone who has been thinking that going to wikimania would be good - apply!
Attending wikimania is like nothing else in the Wikiverse. You get to meet some
fantastic people and it really broadens your perspective on what we can
achieve.

Only a very few Australians ever go to Wikimania which is a great shame IMO.
Please, don't let a lack of personally available funds for the flight stop you
from attending what is shaping up to being the best organised wikimania ever!

On a side note to Wikimedia Australia chapter exec:
Do you intend to set some money from the fundraiser aside to directly fund
scholarships for Australians and/or New Zealanders and/or people in our region?
(e.g. I'd love to see an East Timorese wikimedian at wikimania!) as you can see
at the bottom of the forwarded email, so far both Wikimedia Austria and
Switzerland have chapter-run scholarship programs and wikimedia France (and
Germany?) have done so in the past. For what it's worth, I would suggest it
would be a good use of some of the Australian funds.

Best,
-Liam

Wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata