> it has a higher likelihood of success I reckon because, whatever they
> might think of free-licensing, they can see the direct publicity
> potential (with their marketing/PR hat on).

Exactly - presumably these are overworked and underpaid and
over-scrutinised and over-regulated public servants, so the easiest way
to failure is giving them yet more stuff to do without a clear "business
case" (for want of a better phrase... maybe "charter case", given that
the ABC charter spells out in black and white the ABC's function).

It has to be us asking "how can we help _you_ meet your objectives?"
rather than us telling them "this is how you should help _us_", i.e.
seeing it from their perspective.

> Can I suggest that people put their ideas on the wiki talkpage

Done. Have also added some additional things that I think could work,
namely:

A logo or title-screen capture for all ABC-orginated TV series.
Examples:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Corners_%28TV_program%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offsiders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_the_News
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Tuesday_Book_Club
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Stick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Movies_%28Australian_TV_series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.30_Report
(in fact, only a few, such as Foreign Correspondent, do have
logos/screencaps, most have text only).

Also it would be good if all of the series broadcast by the ABC had a
wikipedia page (i.e. nice if recurring items on
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/ had articles). Most of series I checked
do (I was pleasantly surprised), but there are a few that don't seem to,
especially kids or arts programs, such as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelly_and_Caesar or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelly_%26_Caesar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artscape_%28TV_program%29