Ok, well I'd obviously be interested, and at this stage that weekend is
reasonably clear.

For those not in the loop, the basic idea of this project is as follows:
* The Australian Bureau of Statistics publishes raw time series data of all
kinds in excel files that get updated every month/quarter/year.
* They have a reasonably consistent data format, so can be dealt with using
a script.
* Wikipedia can make use of graphs (e.g. I've put a few test samples in
here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Australia)
* I estimate that plotting every time series they publish will amount to
50-200k files in about 50-100 script-assigned broad subject categories
(e.g.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Charts_of_the_Current_Account_of_Australia).
I have an idea for how to make more specific categorization easy for the
Wiki community.
* In the first instance the script will only plot one time series on each
graph, although I realize that comparisons would be a useful addition.
* Reasonable starting descriptions and wiki markup also need to be script
generated.

Here's the best example of where I'm up to.  This file and description was
generated amongst a batch of 2727 files relating to the population
statistics of Australia and the states by age.  Did you know about the baby
boom in NSW?  Here's proof - the population of age 0 boys in NSW over the
last 30 years:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ABS-3201.0-1-2-Estimated_Resident_Population-Male-0.svg
(let me know of ways the graph or description could be better presented)

If ABS stuff is nearly ready to go by the time of GovHack, I'm sure we
could also get some good stuff out of applying this to the data that the
Bureau of Meteorology are bringing to the table.

Toby