I doubt the FDC will approve funding for a Fellowship program where we
get to decide which application is most appropriate.  That is
regranting.  Regranting programs tend to see applications mostly from
the people near the inner circle.

We might be able to succeed with a Fellowship program if we had fairly
clearly defined boundaries, and think we have a very good chance of
success if we have applications already published.

I think we are better off picking one or two themes quickly, where we
know we have a lot of potential candidates, and actively seeking
applicants by direct messages on talk pages, emails, etc. etc.  We
could have applications published before the FDC due date (~1 March),
with a decision to be made after the FDC due date - at least then the
FDC knows what they are funding.

--
John Vandenberg