From: whiteghost....@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:09:54 +1000
To: memb...@wikimedia.org.au; wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediaau-l] Great opportunity - backstage pass and editathon

Dear All,

I have just returned from a meeting at the State Library of New South Wales at
which it was confirmed that our proposed WWI editathon will take place on site
on 23 November.

This is a great opportunity for us because the Library will provide:
- one of its best rooms (a private and spacious one);
- its expert curators (along with their expertise and their white gloves);
- a newly launched website (containing new resources); and of course

- items from its collection (including rare and usually unavailable material)
which we can look at, learn from, and use, to improve WP articles. For example,
on the topic of WWI, the Library holds many diaries and manuscripts from the
period.

This is the first time that an Australian cultural institution has opened its
doors to us in this way. It builds on the good relationship developed during my
short time there as Wikipedian-in-Residence and will help us to get more
Australian content into the encyclopedia, as well as offer a rare chance to get
up close to our history and to documents recording our stories.

As you can see from the Library's project page, they have connected this
editathon to their own work. On the editathon project page, they have already
set out a wide range of resources to make things easier for us. In fact, the
librarians are devoted to making information easier to get and skilled at doing
just that.

Please sign up on the editathon page if you would like to participate. The room
has space for newbies and for potential Wikipedians as well. The Library is
happy to have us bring friends on the day to learn about being an editor or
about the wonderful collection that it looks after on our behalf.

Hope to see you there or online,
Whiteghost.ink