Do we have a secretary now that you can hand it into.........please.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Tony Souter <to...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Dear Andrew
>
> I am still a member because there was legally no secretary to receive my
> written resignation, as you correctly point out is required by Rule 6(1).
>
> Let's fast reverse for a moment: Charles resigned in writing as
> secretary several days *after* Graham was, somehow, appointed to the
> position, presumably using the casual vacancy rule—but there was no
> vacancy, so the appointment was invalid. I pointed out the problems at the
> time and was ignored—the fact that I was ignored is quite explicit in the
> minutes of the meeting during which everyone decided to appoint themselves
> into different office-bearing positions.
>
>
> http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Meeting:Committee_(2013-03-17)#Committee_reshuffle
>
> While we're on this matter, "*Action:* Steven agreed to write up a formal
> re-shuffle motion, as per the email." – I see no evidence in subsequent
> minutes of such a a formal "re-shuffle motion".
>
> It's as simple as that.
>
> You say: "the committee will not be responding to your correspondence
> dated 25 January 2014"; but you *have* responded. The failure to address
> my specific points might prompt members to wonder about several critical
> issues. Forgive me for being old-fashioned, but I'm rather fussy about
> adherence to rules and laws.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Tony
>
>
>
> On 25/01/2014, at 8:11 PM, Andrew Owens <orderinchao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Tony,
>
> On 1 October 2013, you resigned your membership per Rule 6(1) of the
> Association in writing, via a post to the chapter's lists. It is also on
> record that this resignation was accepted at the time. As such, you are not
> a member under the chapter's rules.
>
> As a consequence, the committee will not be responding to your
> correspondence dated 25 January 2014, and notes only that it contains
> several misunderstandings and errors of fact, some of which can be easily
> corrected with material already on the record, including reports submitted
> to the last AGM and the full text of the Associations Incorporation Reform
> Act 2012.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Owens
> Secretary
> Wikimedia Australia
>
>
> On 25 January 2014 13:17, Tony Souter <to...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Dear members
>>
>> Since under the chapter's rules I'm still a member of WMAU until 30
>> June—at which time no membership will be revewable for anyone under the
>> rules, I'm sorry to say—may I ask whether the minutes of today's
>> "committee" meeting will be posted promptly, unlike last time?
>>
>> Looking at the minutes of the most recent meeting (by the way, pretty
>> short on links for members to navigate to referents), I see 12 red "ACTION"
>> statements; only one of them is followed by a note that the action was
>> taken:
>>
>> ACTION: Steven to advise Adam.
>> (*Update: Actioned 25 November - committee members CC'd on email.*)
>> Although it doesn't say whether the action succeeded in terms of the
>> resolution.
>>
>>
>> A sample of the other 11 is below, together with a few other queries.
>>
>> ______________
>>
>> *ACTION: All to update COI register.
>>
>> Nope:
>>
>>
>> http://www.wikimedia.org.au/w/index.php?title=Conflict_of_interest_policy&action=history
>>
>> ______________
>>
>> *Update of records with CAV and the ACNC
>>
>>    - Steven advised that everyone had sent through the necessary
>>    details. Email issues have hampered the ACNC matter; Steven is sending
>>    Andrew the form via express post.
>>    - The rule changes have not been sent to CAV from the SGM. If it goes
>>    beyond 26 November, the lodgment fee increases from $75.20 to $160.50.
>>    - ACTION: Steven to email Andrew the form; Andrew to file it with CAV
>>    on Tuesday.
>>
>>
>> Even if the rule changes were sent to CAV by 26 November, saving the
>> chapter half the fee, it ignores the fact that the law (not the rules, the
>> law) was breached by not communicating the change within a month of the SGM
>> that approved the changes. I believe there's a fine for that breach, but
>> would need to check the Act to confirm this.
>>
>> ______________
>>
>> *A7 Past resolutions
>>
>>    - ACTION: Andrew to sort out past resolutions for posting to the
>>    public wiki.
>>
>>
>> This cake looks worryingly half-baked:
>>
>> "(add 2013-14, note out of date (will fill this in over coming week)"
>>
>> http://www.wikimedia.org.au/w/index.php?title=Resolutions&action=history
>>
>>
>> ______________
>>
>> **C4 Linkage project *
>>
>> "there are questions as to its fit with our Statement of Purpose"—I don't
>> see an argument anywhere supporting this claim. Like the CAV's answers to
>> questions by one committee member about compliance, the answers depend on
>> how those questions are framed. Presumably the previous committee thought
>> the project fit with the SoP.
>>
>> "The current spending is authorised by a resolution of the previous
>> committee, but we have the option to rescind this." But one of the problems
>> in squibbing on this funding is that the chapter signed a *contract*with the 
>> other parties. Why sign a binding contract if you're going to
>> flush it down the pan in the hope you won't be sued, even if suing is
>> unlikely? It's a pretty bad smell for the chapter's reputation at the very
>> least. Who (including the WMF) would sign a contract with WMAU after that?
>> This sits oddly with a generally loose approach to spending, without
>> clear signs of improving the performance of the chapter:
>>
>> I see proposals to move from a free email system to one that costs $50 a
>> year per person ($50? really?), and that the discourse on the site is so
>> sensitive that a much more expensive non-shared option is being considered.
>> Since the site remains a ghost town, I can't see the purpose in bumping up
>> expenditure on it by one cent.
>>
>> Even snail-mail looks like incurring more costs (redirect fee, etc). May
>> I ask why a mail box is used in the first place? If someone has to have the
>> key to it, why not mail to their home to save costs and expedite
>> communication? It's very unsuitable in a huge continent to assign one
>> location for a paid mailbox.
>>
>> May I ask why nearly a thousand dollars was set aside in the August
>> meeting for some online course "experiment" in ... what ... company board
>> membership skills? Really? I thought the election would have sorted out who
>> was competent to serve on the committee.
>>
>> And is the Committee pursuing the idea of spending the grand some of
>> $5,000 each quarter to ferry to, and accommodate and feed the committee, in
>> a different location in Australia? For the Sydney meeting last year, only 
>> *one
>> member* turned up. How is that "Fit to Purpose" or value for money?
>>
>> http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Proposal:Quarterly_board_meetings
>>
>> ______________
>> Minutes of previous meeting:
>>
>> "It was noted that most present were not at the meeting, but that as
>> Graham had prepared the minutes and Craig had agreed to them, an overall
>> majority of the previous committee could be judged in favour."
>>
>> I'm not sure that's a logical assumption.
>>
>> ______________
>> *Finance report*
>>
>> Two red links for September and Octover reports. Where are they?
>>
>> ______________
>>
>> "The World War I event proceeded, but nobody on the committee was
>> present, so a report will be sought from the organiser for the next
>> meeting."
>>
>> No ACTION statement, so I can't imagine anything's been done on that one.
>>
>>
>>
>> Just sayin', members.
>>
>> Tony
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimediaau-l mailing list
>> Wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaau-l
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaau-l mailing list
> Wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaau-l
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaau-l mailing list
> Wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaau-l
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimediaau-l mailing list
Wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaau-l

Reply via email to