I’m with Andrew, it’s a both a blessing and a curse. I’ve seen the same thing
happen in family history. Once the records were there in physical form in a
distant part of the world (result: no access for most people); then Ancestry
came along and offered to digitise them and sell subscriptions to access the
data (result: access for anyone willing/able to pay). For me, I find the
Ancestry subscription cost reasonable for what I get access to (I use it for
Wikipedia research as well as family history) but not everyone thinks it’s
affordable.

So, I think the real question with SLNSW is “at what price will it become
accessible?”.

When the time is right, we should try to negotiate for the Wikipedia Library
program to get access to some subscriptions (assuming that’s the model chosen –
could be pay-per-view).

Kerry