The 1 May 1969 date was a demarcation date under the old legislation. If made before 1 May 1969, the Crown copyright expired 50 years after the photograph was made; if after, it was 50 years from when it was first published. However, sections 180 and 181 are being repealed. So by the time 2019 rolls around, it will be 50 years after the photograph was made.

Ross

On 21/06/2017 8:06 AM, Kerry Raymond wrote:

From a Commons process perspective, if I upload one of these photos which is older than “date plus 50 years” (which is currently 1966 and earlier photos but next year become 1967 and earlier, etc), do I still use the {{PD-Australia}} template? Or is there a different template?

My question links to the fact that the current PD-Australia template on Commons has not been updated since the legislation passed and currently says

Commonwealth or State government owned^2  photographs and engravings:

taken or published more than 50 years ago and prior to *1 May 1969*

Does this reflect the legislation and, if so, what is the bit about 1 May 1969 all about? Or does the template need to be amended to reflect the legislation? Or should I be using some different template completely?

Kerry

*From:*Ross Mallett [mailto:hawke...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, 21 June 2017 6:17 AM
*To:* kerry.raym...@gmail.com; Australian Wikimedians mailing list <wikimediaau-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
*Subject:* Re: [Wikimediaau-l] Crown Copyright in photographs

Kerry

Crown copyright includes the Federal and State governments, and those of all the territories, including the overseas territories. Even Norfolk Island. It does NOT include local government.

Under the Constitution (Section 51 (xviii) to be exact), copyrights, trademarks and patents are a Federal responsibility, so only one law everywhere. (Hallelujah!)

Ross