Am 07.10.2013 12:46, schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:
> Le 07/10/2013 11:10, Manuel Schneider a écrit :
>> Please be aware that changes on the wiki are going on.
>>
>> Currently the multilingual features are not active because they
>> interfere with the upgrade.
>
> I have asked many questions about IT (IMO partly related to this change)
> on the village pump. Could you please answer them:
> https://members.wikimedia.ch/Village_Pump/
>
> To avoid such type of fuzzyness about IT changes in the future, I think
> this would be good if for each IT change with a user impact the
> following stuff is done:
> * Inform users before the change:
> ** Purpose of the change with a few details
> ** User impact (during and post change)
> ** time/duration of the change
> * Inform users after the change:
> ** Potential post-change incidents
> ** Feedback about the change execution

can we agree to do that only in projected bigger changes?
Due to the number of services we host updates and changes happen every
day, mostly just minor things. Sending mails every time before and after
will triple the workload.
It makes only sense to inform when there is any impact, such as this
time when problems occured that were not predictable.

The whole thing took 15 minutes and I guess nobody except the ones in
the staff meeting with me noticed anything.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch