from the help page:
    *  Administrator - Somebody who has access to all the
administration features
    * Editor - Somebody who can publish posts, manage posts as well as
manage other people's posts, etc.
    * Author - Somebody who can publish and manage their own posts
    * Contributor - Somebody who can write and manage their posts but
not publish posts
    * Subscriber - Somebody who can read comments/comment/receive news
letters, etc.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

rupert.
http://wikimedia.ch