The root of this problem is very similar to the Section 377 case (refer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_377_of_the_Indian_Penal_Code)

The laws and attitudes in place regarding this case are ancient and in
present circumstances, wrong. They do the country more harm than good. Going
by these laws, even something as beneficial as a GPS locator that can save
lives of lost travelers and disaster victims, can be deemed illegal. Hence,
if we use common sense, we can conclude that these laws are in fact illegal
and detrimental to India and its citizens. Maybe a more precise and updated
form would be correct, but presently it's in the wrong.

Just my opinion: falsified representation of areas as belonging to India
when they're not really in Indian control, can be interpreted as lying to
the people and grand treason. I would see it as equivalent to lying about
the country's GDP or poverty figures just to pretend being in the clear. If
we cannot accept one then why accept the other? If Indians were shown the
reality, we might just empower the coming generation to do something about
it and they might actually live to see these areas return back to Indian
control one day. By consistently being ignorant of it for decades, the
previous generation has lost that opportunity.

So I think the answer is easy and simple - it will be implementation that I
guess can be a little humbling. I think the best message that Indian
wikipedians can give right now is passive non-co-operation : remove all the
maps of our country from Wikipedia that come under question and make it
known to all that we will rather go map-less than lie to our fellow citizens
or to the world.

Cheers,
Nikhil Sheth
+91-966-583-1250