We realise that the WikiConference Framework has caused some confusion and
we wanted to clarify this.
The Chapter EC would like to indicate intent of the following:
- The Chapter indicates its intent to take the responsibility of working
with various stakeholders to have this event run year on year
- We would like to help build with the community a repeatable and
sustainable set of methods that would help organize an national annual
- The focus is to evolve a framework that would allow City, Chapter and
other community stakeholders to participate in organising the annual event
in manner that the experiences, learning and best practices can be carried
forward across years.
The following clarifications are also in order:
1. The framework is a draft and is open for further refinement with
various stakeholder inputs. The framework will always be an ideal goal. Even
if the proposal doesn't match it, the idea is for the Chapter to help bridge
2. We do believe that as a general practice it is good haver many cities
bidding to run this event on annual basis and that a choice is made based on
the merits of the bid.
3. The enthusiasm and passion shown by the Mumbai and Pune Wikipedians in
taking the lead get an event of this nature for the first time is laudable.
We also owe a debt of gratitude to the Bombay and Pune communities for
bringing the discussion and planning thus far for the event.
4. What we intended to communicate is that we know Mumbai has an event
being planned and even if it doesn't match whatever framework we all come up
with, it doesn't really matter, because all of us, Community and Chapter,
will work together to bridge the gap such that the event works.
5. It's awesome that Mumbai and Pune communities are ready to go with the
event. It doesn't appear at this stage that there any other volunteers or
bids in the making. We all want an event of this nature to happen. That
said, we are also trying to put some process and structure around it for
Thank you very much.
For Wikimedia Chapter, India.
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list