Photos taken on the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WikiAcademy_Mumbai_1_img1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wiki_Academy_Mumbai_1.jpg

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 00:01:48 +0530
From: pradeep.mohan...@gmail.com
To: wikimedia-in-...@lists.wikimedia.org; wikimediaindia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] WikiAcademy Mumbai 1 notes

hi,
Warning: This is a loooonggg email.
We held our first WikiAcademy in Mumbai on October 1, 2011 at the Center for
Education and Documentation, Colaba. The session was attended by 24 attendees.
Roughly, the sessions were:

1. Introduction2. Creating accounts on Wikipedia3. Introduction to the
interface4. Rules related to Wikipedia (5 Pillars, AGF etc.)5. Go out and edit

This was our first experience with such an Academy and hence this note is a bit
detailed.
Many of the folks who came had used Wikipedia but had hardly ever edited
Wikipedia. There was a lot of questioning around the reliability of Wikipedia
as a resource. We had the services of Vickram Crishna to answer these
questions. After the round of introductions, we got them acquainted with
accessing Wikipedia, familiarising them with the English Wikipedia main page.

The attendees were very interested in learning how to edit Wikipedia and wanted
to learn right from the creating accounts on Wikipedia stage. This we did, only
to realise the limitation existed on creation of not more than 6 accounts per
IP address. We got around this limitation by allowing people to register with
dongles that a few people carried with them. Next time, perhaps making an
upfront request to allow more account creations from a single IP address before
the Academy might be a wise thing to do. Any other suggestions?

Even after logging in the attendees appreciated a "Get to know your Screen"
session.
Pranav then shed some light on the rules of the Wikipedia (frankly, I have
never read this until a few days before the Academy!). Kundan Amitabh also
pitched in to help with a few that Pranav didn't know about. Kundan also urged
them to not give up on Wikipedia if their articles or sections of articles were
deleted. Keep trying! was the call!

In the last go out and edit session, we allowed participants to edit what they
liked. We moved among the audience helping where help was needed. We encouraged
the users to use the various icons on the WYSIWIG editor rather than learn the
Wikisyntax. We think that working on this for a few days will help them learn
things on their own.

There was a diverse audience with requests for specific follow up sessions. We
think that we could have concluded more properly than we did.
warm regards,Pradeep Mohandas
PS: Apologies for the delay in posting this!
--
Pradeep Mohandas
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9