Gerard,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi,
>
>    - You agree with me that these people exist.
>    - The Malayalam Wikisource is getting more attention then the
>    Malayalam Wikipedia
>    - It is relatively easy to learn to read the script.
>    - Having native speakers type text that they could decipher is
>    something they can do if they choose
>    - Everybody benefits when more literature is transcribed

Such people exist but they are a minority. Teaching them their language is
not the way to grow Indic language projects even if they are already part
of the community.

Taking the case of Tamil, we do have highly qualified tech groups like
http://thamizha.com/ that support FOSS. We also have organizations like
http://infitt.org/ that have the best of developers, Govt. officials,
software makers, thinkers, academicians that work with international
organizations like Unicode consortium.

So, you need to identify the right people to partner with for Wikimedia.

India is a country of many languages with varying problems and
specialities. In this situation, don't make generalizations and call
Indians illiterate of their languages in an international blog.

Ravi