On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM, sankarshan <foss.mailingli...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan
> <parakara.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Arjuna, while I don't really understand what is the ultimate aim, I
> > sincerely hope that this will result in Indic support across mobile
> > devices.
>
> Traditionally, on the desktop devices, Indic support has generally
> meant the ability to do the following:
>
> - display/render
> - print
> - input
>
> The underlying software architecture, which is fashionably called the
> "plumbing", has been present and keeps lock-step with the currently
> available and published standards and specifications.
>
> Input forms an interesting aspect because of the diverse nature of
> possibilities provided and requested - an example could be the variety
> of the keyboard layouts available. While a myriad variety in the
> keyboard layouts is possible on a standard physical keyboard
> (hardware), such variety is a bit difficult to attain on the mobile
> device hardware having an actual physical keyboard. Even in the case
> of mobile devices with an on-screen keyboard, the ability to
> standardize on a specific set of layouts, based on various factors
> (eg. computation of the highest used key combinations) would be of
> immense use.
>
> Thanks for the nice explanation.

> At this stage, the only aspect I'd request to be made clear is how
> does one participate in the effort. For example, reading through the
> current list of participants I don't see Google (as an example). It
> would be nicer to have distributions participate because they allow
> the quickest path to reference implementation of standards.

I have reached out to most people who have interest in this area. We will
be publicizing this initiative more vigorously, now that the project is
approved.

The proposed mode of standard development is open for participation by
every one. Though for the final balloting and to decide on any
alternatives, IEEE-SA membership will be needed, which again is being
offered at reduced rates for Indians.  The official Work Group will be
kicked off in January.  I request interested people to subscribe to
the  mailing
list of the
initiative<http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=indic-input-stds&A=1>
.