> A parameter to consider while trying to measure effectiveness of an
> outreach session is the time constraints of the person doing the
> outreach. If working folks are involved, it would be difficult to get
> this sort of feedback. Things get easier, though, when size of the
> group with which outreach is done is less than 5. Perhaps doing
> micro-outreach and relying on a domino effect would be more effective
> in measuring effectiveness of outreach. Just a theory.

Great suggestion Pradeep. I agree, volunteer time is limited and is extremely
valuable. Hence every minute invested by the community in outreach should have
maximum possible impact. If greater effectiveness means limiting the number of
participants to a number as small as 5 or 10 then we must do that. I'd include
this point in the handbook or else fell free to add it yourself.

Having said this, if there are let's say 40 members interested in attending a
Wiki workshop or a meet up it will be difficult for us to handpick 5-10 members
who would attend the session. Under different circumstance we should  work
differently:

If we have enough community members then may be we should think of ways of
dividing this group of 40 in 4 different groups and individual community
members leading each group.
But the question is, what do we do when we don't have enough community members
in that particular region. In such situations we'll have to conduct outreach
for larger number of participants and find more efficient ways of  following up
with the participants post the session.  Some of the ways could be:
Towards the end of the session ask the participants to select an article that
they all would like to collaboratively edit during the next one week. Tell them
that you've created a Google group for them where they could post messages,
queries, comments etc. Keep a close watch on this newly created Google group
and guide and help them by answering their queries promptly. Pretty much like
what Ashwin is trying do with the GA master class.
Towards the end of the session ask the participant if any of them would like to
become representatives of this group. You should maintain direct contact with
these volunteers (these could be 1-2) and if possible ask them to organize
follow up academy session where participants could get their doubts cleared or
ask them to invite all the participants to wiki meet ups etc. Basically, these
volunteers could serve as your single point of contact for the entire group
making your task of following up much easier.
More ideas and suggestions on this are welcome!

Thanks
Nitika