Hello everyone,

Firstly, I would like to condemn this email from a person named “Arvind
Menon” - this email is very much a personal attack on me, to misguide a
community member, character assasination and to defame, all using a fake
profile. If the person is actually seeking any information for community
benefit, as Piyush rightly pointed, it would be helpful to know the
person’s Wikimedia identity, and their work. Otherwise, this can merely be
regarded as an ad hominem attack, which has happened several times in the
past on this mailing list.

Before I go into details, I have been very disturbed by this email, as
several people were asking me, and I was pressurised. I personally request
community members to look for authenticity before considering anything. I
fear this might become a practice to target people just by creating fake
profiles/emails, and wrongfully nameshaming them on public platforms,
without complete understanding.

Regarding my role with WMF, firstly, there was a contract, but I did not
have any employment, and do not hold any. There has been public
documentation about it, and stating there wasn't any is untrue. All the
relevant details+evidence will be put forward. I have asked WMF support
regarding the same, and they would be giving further on this shortly
(probably in a day or two) after this email.

I would like to particularly focus on the WikiConference India part. My
relation with WMF has nothing to do with the grant, and no benefit of the
same has been applied in either of the contexts. Though initially people
expressed concerns, many of them, after clarifying, went on to support the
proposal, and it gained more than 40 endorsements
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Conference/WikiConference_India_2020#Endorsements>
from community members, which shows the community is in favour of the
proposal and the conference. WMF comments were not against it. We created
FAQs
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Conference/WikiConference_India_2020#FAQs>
on the grant page itself to help community members understand the reasons
behind it, and even all the questions on talk page were answered. We also
mentioned that “all bills worth valuing more than ₹30,000.00 will be
publicly published” - this demonstrates transparency, in an attempt to
establish a new practice. Anyway, the entire Conference and Event Grants
program has been paused due to COVID-19 pandemic, and none of the proposals
forwarded from the initial stage.

I provided clarification even though the initial email doesn’t address me
or respectfully seeks any information. I am taking this effort to provide
detailed clarification, for the sake of community members and understanding
only. This email, though posted by a fake profile, created great stress,
and almost spoiled my entire day. I once again request the community to be
careful of random postings with unidentifiable identities. I wonder if
there is any way further such personal attacks can be avoided, towards any
community member.

Regards,

Krishna Chaitanya V.