Hello,

You all know that we are supposed to not only attend an open source
day<http://eucossa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=50>at
Egerton University but also give a talk at the event.

The audience shall comprise of students, lecturers and other techies
interested in open source technologies and how these tech can be used to
attain vision 2030 <http://www.vision2030.go.ke/>.

Free knowledge should go the greatest way to attain the vision 2030 and so
the talk shall be a good chance to talk about the Wikimedia Strategies
that have been laid to reach more people in this part of the world.

Some of the things we might share with the attendants:

*A general introduction to the WMF.

*A call for contributors/volunteers with the WMF projects.

* The off line Wikipedia - kiwix reader - and how the folks at Kiwix get to
dump the articles so that they can be read off-line.

* The recent collaborations with Mobile Service Providers to offer
Wikipedia free of data charges.

*Increase reach especially in Africa and the global south where Internet
usage growth is projected to grow by more than 10% by 2015.

*I have been liaising with the organizer and they promised that we shall
have our booth where participants of this
event shall pass-by as we have a word or two plus recruit more contributors
to the Wikimedia.

My two cents of what we expected to preach at the outreach on the coming
weekend.

I have not yet confirmed my personal attendance of this event but I will do
so by Thursday evening.

So far two people have confirmed their attendance of this event.

//Stephen.

"Internet is only relevant to the locals if there is something they can
directly relate with in a language they can understand easily" - Vint Cerf
at the IGF VI in Gigiri, Nairobi 2011

"Better Late Than Never, But Never Late is Better"
<http://uwanja.wordpress.com>