Dear all,

Am 17.06.2012 07:38, schrieb Limoke Oscar:
> I love the idea of a blog but however qm skeptical we need one.We
> already have a wiki website that we  still struggle to update and
> which could serve as a portal and blog for informing the whole world
> about us. Am sure if we start a blog, we might just as well be
> duplicating content from our wiki....just my 2cents

allow me to chime in for a moment.

Technically, we can set up on your website whatever you need and add
so-called "subdomains", for instance:

* www.wikimedia.or.ke - a website, built with a blog software such as
Wordpress or Drupal

* members.wikimedia.or.ke - current wiki, used for members to publish
reports, document / manage projects, work on concepts etc.

* board.wikimedia.or.ke - closed wiki for the board to be able to
discuss internal issues, develop resolutions, internal documentation
such as passwords of mailinglists, websites and wikis, bank details etc.

* <projectname>.wikimedia.or.ke - specific wikis for bigger projects,
can be public or only disclosed to a specific project team

the wikis can all be integrated into the members wiki by using the same
user database and user preferences, so everybody just needs one account
and based on the user role she or he can access specific wikis or not.

For smaller chapters I have seen wikis as websites for a while, we also
did that for Wikimedia CH and I think Wikimedia Sweden and Wikimedia
Israel still do that.

On the other hand both Wikimedia CH and Wikimedia Austria at one point
decided to have a "real" website, both are using Drupal now.
I think it is correct to argument about the ability to update the
website - does an association already have so much information and
therefore a need for a website?
Better start low and grow bigger as your association and the needs grow.

The Drupal website has another side-effect: Several Wikimedia chapters
use it for CiviCRM, which is a module on top of Drupal. We maintain our
contacts, finances, event registrations etc. withing CiviCRM. So the
website and the central contact management system is basically the same
thing.

You can always start by using the current wiki / website as your
website, add Drupal CiviCRM later as you need it, build a new website
based on Drupal, once it is ready we move the wiki to the "members"
subdomain and move Drupal to www.wikimedia.or.ke. We are flexible with that.

Regards,

Manuel
--