My dear Steve,
Waswahili wasema subira huvuta heri.
I am going to speak about the Kenya National Archives, because it's the
partnership that I'm focused on. Yes, we have been moving at a sluggish rate.
Sometimes it's my fault, sometimes it's theirs. But, IMO, most partnerships
don't take overnight to seal. They take months, or even years. And that has
nothing to do with Kenya or the government. It's the business norm. The British
Museum -- the first cultural institution to host a Residency program -- took
months to accept it. The Museum of Islamic Art in Qatar is still in talks with
Wikimedia -- these talks started (I think) 10 months ago. This agreement is not
just a piece of paper saying that we will edit Wikipedia and take photos. It
involves Museum personnel/staff -- meaning that they'll agree to devote their
time to contribute to Wikipedia. So all in all, it involves the Museum agreeing
to dedicate (some of) its resources to us -- whether its time or money. It also
has a binding agreement, explicitly stating that they have to stick to the
terms and conditions of the partnership. (e.g. what will you do if a senior
staff member forbids you to take photos of their gallery?)
If you want to go ahead and carry out this project unofficially, then go ahead.
I just hope that you (and everyone else who is in an official capacity to
represent Wikimedia Kenya) knows that if we want to form partnerships, these
things will take time. And there may be a shortcut this time round (which has
its limitations), there may not be a shortcut next time.
You talked about calling an AGM with the stakeholders. What stakeholders
specifically? You also talked about most government institutions being ignorant
about Wikipedia. While this statement may be true, I assure you that after more
than 5 meetings with the Kenya National Archives Management team, they at least
know the basics :-)
You also talked about carrying out editathons and taking photos at the Murumbi
Gallery (the gallery found at the entrance of the Archives). Do you know that
this gallery is barely 1% of what the Kenya National Archives has? Yes, 1%. The
Kenya National Archives is not a place which is supposed to host artifacts per
se, but most importantly, it houses millions of records, transcripts, maps,
agreements, videos, audio files related to Kenyan history. These records -- not
the gallery -- are the essence of the Archives. It is these records, about Mau
Mau, about East African Railways, about Tom Mboya -- that can be found nowhere
else, that they have.
So, if this deal really happens, the bulk of the work will be to digitize/scan
these records and upload them to Wikisource. Although I think that we should
also do what you said with the Murumbi Gallery, the bulk of the work still is
the mass upload as well as putting up the descriptions (metadata) of each
upload.
I am not supposed to talk about this, since it's still not yet official. But
many of you probably didn't know what will really be happening, if this
partnership actually takes place with the Archives.
Thanks,Abbas.