On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Asaf Bartov <abar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Limoke Oscar <oslim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't think it's a shame, and shouldn't be a pain: organizing a bid is a
> lot of work, but is almost purely on-wiki, and can be done by one or two
>
> Anyhow, we should all be happy for our Tanzanian colleagues for having found
> the initiative and energy to do this.  It's not a competition. :)

Yes.  You might even try working with them to organize a shared
regional event, if their bid for Wikimania itself doesn't work out.
They clearly have a lot of energy for bringing people and speakers
together around Wikimedia topics.

> Like I said in my more formal letter, you must not look upon the expiration
> of the provisional recognition as a blow or as a failure -- it was merely a
> deadline expiring, for a formal process that doesn't actually matter as much
> as it used to, because we now have these new affiliation models, which would
> have been more suitable in the first place, had they existed at the time.

Yes.  And once you have some projects underway, if they start to grow,
you may always reapply to become a Chapter.

SJ