The November newsletter has been published at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Newsletter/November2008 and is
copied below for your convenience:

Wikimedians in the United Kingdom are working to set up a chapter of the
Wikimedia Foundation, which will aid and encourage people to collect, develop
and effectively disseminate knowledge.  A board of five members has been
elected, and a company has now been set up.  Membership applications are now
invited, and will be processed as soon as we have a bank account. The
organisation needs the support and involvement of people like you.

Creating a chapter

Wikimedians in the United Kingdom have been working since 2006 to create a
chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation.  A company - Wiki Educational Resources
Ltd - was incorporated on 14 February 2006.  This company had several problems
with recognition from the Foundation and opening bank accounts which meant the
decision was made in August 2008 to wind the company up.  The community decided
to start the process to create a new company, firstly electing an initial Board.

Elections

>From 20 - 27 September, the community voted for an initial board of five
>members to incorporate the new organisation, set up a bank account, request
>charitable status and arrange the first Annual General Meeting (AGM). Nine
>people put their names forward to stand and eight were accepted as candidates
>- the ninth being rejected as they were under 18. These five candidates
>received the support of more than the required 50% of voters:

* Kwan Ting Chan (88.5%; Chair);
* Michael Conn (57.7%; Communication Officer) ;
* Tom Holden (92.3%; Treasurer);
* Mike Peel (53.2%; Membership Secretary);
* Andrew Turvey (73.1%; Secretary).

Of the 37 people who registered in time to vote, 26 (70%) cast their ballots.
The board members took up the positions listed alongside their names.  New
board elections will be held at the first AGM.

Status of Company Formation

The board has agreed a timeline of objectives.  Good progress is being made.
Following extensive discussions, a company named '''Wiki UK Ltd''' has been set
up and was incorporated on 5 November.  The company's Memorandum of Association
and Articles of Association have been agreed, and these include the
organisation's objectives:

The charity's Object is to aid and encourage people to collect, develop and
effectively disseminate knowledge and other educational, cultural and historic
content in the public domain or under a license that allows everyone to freely
use, distribute and modify said content, by means including (but not limited
to):

1 promoting freely accessible online information repositories whose content is
freely and collaboratively editable;
2 acting as a voice and representative for the community of UK residents and
citizens who use and edit such repositories;
3 preserving world heritage, and particularly that of the UK, through such
repositories;
4 supporting the charitable work of the Wikimedia Foundation;
5 enabling, assisting, promoting and promulgating wider participation in the
creation, dissemination and expansion of information and educational resources
covering the world's knowledge and languages to all persons, everywhere;
6 furthering the development of electronic, printed, and other resources
required to support such participation;
7 producing, publishing and developing, or cause to be produced, published and
developed, information resources, whether in printed, electronic, or other
forms;
8 making use of or encouraging the use of information resources for the
advancement of education; and
9 encouraging the adoption of practices and policies to widen education,
participation and dissemination of information worldwide;

The chapters committee has passed a resolution to support us becoming a chapter
of Wikimedia.  This does not yet give us chapter status, as the board of the
Wikimedia Foundation must decide on this, and their next meeting is from
9th-11th January.

Membership

We have decided to have one membership level to start with.  Members will have
the right to elect the Board, submit motions and vote at AGMs, thereby playing
a central role in determining the activities of the organisation.  The
membership fee will be £12/year, reduced to £6/year for concessions.  These
fees may be revised, and additional levels of membership created, at an AGM or
by future Boards.

We are now inviting applications for membership of Wiki UK Limited; you can get
the application form from
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wiki_UK_Ltd_membership_application_form.pdf.
 We will process these as soon as we have a bank account.  We are currently
applying for a bank account and hope that this will be up and running by late
December.

More information on membership can be found at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Membership.

Getting involved

In order to aid and encourage people to collect, develop and effectively
disseminate knowledge, the chapter needs the support and involvement of people
like you.  Now is a great time to get involved.  If you haven't already done
so, you can subscribe to this newsletter.  You may also like to subscribe to
the WikimediaUK mailing list, where discussion on the chapter is taking place.
You can additionally pose questions or make suggestions on Meta Wiki, where you
can also respond to the items raised for consultation by the Board. Our Board
Meetings held on irc are generally open to the public to listen and contribute
and the agenda, reports, minutes and IRC log are posted on the wiki

Wiki UK Limited is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in
England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. The Registered Office is at
23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL