My viewpoint here is that we should always assume good faith, but
keep an eye out for activity which might be suspicious, which could
then be raised for discussion at a board meeting, or if necessary at
a general meeting.

We shouldn't refuse membership applications because we think that the
applicants might be timewasters, or might have a history of abuse;
those are more issues that would lead to the termination of
membership. That said, if we get repeat applications from people
whose membership has been previously terminated, then that would be
grounds for refusing the application. If lots of people from the same
small location apply, then we should only be worried if they would
make up a large fraction of the membership, which I doubt would
happen (either there's no motivation whilst we're small, or we'll be
large enough later that the funds to join the organization in
sufficient mass would be too great).

Mike