It would be great if they could come up with a form of "Crown Commons" that was compatible with our licenses rather than ending up with something like the BBC's creative license.
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Steve Virgin" <steve.vir...@dowjones.com>
To: "WMUK" <bo...@wikimedia.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, 19 June, 2009 14:05:28 GMT +00:00 GMT Britain, Ireland, Portugal
Subject: worth watching
9. June 2009 12:40
First off a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to our earlier post on what a data.gov service might look like in the UK.
The big news for us is that Tim Berners-Lee has agreed to help the UK government make our information more open and accessible on the web - part of a drive towards letting the data about public services be public and open.
A few of the things he and his panel of technical and delivery experts will doing are:
· overseeing the creation of a single online point of access and work with departments to make this part of their routine operations.
· helping to select and implement common standards for the release of public data
· developing Crown Copyright and 'Crown Commons' licenses and extending these to the wider public sector
· driving the use of the internet to improve consultation processes.
· working with the Government to engage with the leading experts internationally working on public data and standards
This is strengthening the oversight, challenge and insight available as we drive the Digital Engagement agenda forward.
Dow Jones Insight
Commodity Quay, East Smithfield, London E1W 1AZ.
Tel: +44 (0) 203 217 5281/+44 (0) 117 965 4041
Mob: +44 (0)7795 031 935/07766 227 352
Fax: +44 (0) 203 217 5232
Dow Jones Factiva - Winner of the 2009 Software and Information Industry Association for its content and software solutions
Factiva is the number one provider of News and Business information to organizations worldwide, delivering essential content via products and services to help you make better decisions, faster
_______________________________________________ Wikimedia UK mailing list wikimediau...@wikimedia.org http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org