Please find copied below the draft minutes of last week's board meeting:

The meeting focused on the chapter's initiatives, in particular the three
initiatives that we have committed to completing by the next AGM. At a previous
meeting the Board agreed to adopt the Schools Project, London Loves Wikipedia
and Workplace Learning Lunches as the three initiatives and to find a project
leader and a core group of volunteers for each of these by the end of July. If
you're interested in volunteering with any of these initiatives please contact
the project leader or sign up on the initiative page.

The Schools Project is being led by Paul Williams and six more volunteers have
already put their names down to go into schools. PW updated the board on
progress and full details are available at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Schools_project

London Loves Wikipedia will be led by Mike Peel, with four other volunteers
assisting. It may be made wider in scope than just London - discussions are
ongoing. It was agreed that we would not actively recruiting museums at the
moment whilst the National Portrait Gallery controversy is ongoing.

Workplace Learning Lunches is being led by Steve Virgin. Four speakers have
volunteered and we will try to recruit organisations as well as the BBC to push
this programme.

We have also put in a request to advertise this with a Geonotice on English
Wikipedia and this is currently active.

In addition to these three initiatives, we also have funding from the
Foundation for "content access partnership" work. The original idea was that
this would be along the lines of the Bundesarchiv deal with Wikimedia Germany.
Although individual contacts are ongoing, we do not currently have a tangible
plan for delivering this. Discussions are ongoing - please let us know if you
can help us take this forward.

We also have a good list of other ideas at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Proposals and
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Ideas - please let us know if you are
interesting in taking any of these forward and let us know what we can do to
help!

Regards,

--

Andrew Turvey
Director

Information contained in this email may be confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete this email
from your system. Unauthorised copying, forwarding or other use of any
confidential information in this email may result in legal action.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 21st July 2009, 8:45pm BST at
#wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Zeyi He (ZH);
Tom Holden (TH); Joseph Seddon (JS); Paul Williams (PW) (part)

Apologies: PW for early departure; Steve Virgin (SV)

Note: The chair delayed the meeting from 8:30 to allow for ZH to arrive.

Fundraising resolution

Thomas Dalton (Tango42, TD) has approached the board with a suggestion
regarding a fundraising drive. TD proposed the following text:

" The board resolves to authorise Thomas Dalton to form a temporary working
group to put together a proposal for a fundraising drive starting on 9th August
2009 and lasting 2 weeks "

TD explained that he had offered to organise a fundraiser and wanted help. He
wants to have an official working group to produce a proposal that the board
would then consider.

AT suggested that the board should instead appoint the working group members.
Whilst this was being discussed, TD withdrew the motion.

Initiatives (ZH)

Role of Board, Chair, Secretary, Initiatives Director

It was agreed that the initiatives director should coordinate the various
initiatives, producing a progress report for each board meeting with, for
instance, achievements, plans and obstacles. The board then has an overview
role to monitor progress and discuss obstacles as needed.

ACTION: ZH

Geonotice

It was agreed that the chapter would seek a geonotice on the watchlist of UK
contributors to English Wikipedia to advertise the chapter and its initatives.
Various options for wording was discussed and MP agreed to approach the page to
request.

ACTION: MP Done see
wikipedia:Wikipedia:Geonotice#Wikimedia_UK_initiatives_notice .

Wiki page

It was agreed to set up a wiki page - Volunteer - where new supporters can be
directed which would have all the ways that people can get involved.

PW agreed to establish

Schools project (PW)

PW has been developing the initiative page . Eight people have volunteered so
far, including six who are prepared to go into schools. PW will research into
the reqirement for CRB checks and their transferability in liason with JS.

ACTION: PW

PW will develop a proposal for buying a computer with, potentially, peripherals
such as a projector, screen, printer etc.

ACTION: PW

PW suggested his school could be a pilot. More schools could be recruited
through the East of England Broadband Network and teacher trainer days (which
could be accessed via Theresa knott).

MP agreed to set up a mailing list for the schools project on wikimedia.org.uk.
It was agreed to defer production of the task list and timeline until this was
established.

ACTION: MP Done

London Loves Wikipedia (MP)

MP confirmed that having asked the email list for volunteers, no-one came
forward so he is still willing to lead this initiative.

It was agreed the initiative needed a core group of 3-4 people to organise it.
So far, four people have volunteered on the initiative page and it was agreed
this was sufficient to organise the event.

The board discussed whether it should be wider in geographical scope - say
Britain Loves Wikipedia. MP agreed to approach the Foundation to request
permission to use their copyright.

PW left the meeting

It was agreed not to start actively recruiting museums to this project until
the National Portrait Gallery issue had been resolved.

Workplace Learning Lunches (AT)

AT reported that SV has agreed to lead this initiative. We need at least four
people to present and four people have already signed up at the initiative page
. In addition, Cormac Lawler has signed up at Speakers and may be interested -
AT agreed to approach. Progress in other areas in on hold pending discussions
with the two Steves.

ACTION: AT

It was agreed to broaden the initiative to try to recruit organisations other
than the BBC. AT agreed to talk to SV about this.

ACTION: AT

Content access partnership (MP)

It was agreed that approaches to museums should be hold pending resolution of
the NPG issue.

The board discussed whether we could use the money to buy digitization
equipment which could be loaned out to small museums and councils in exchange
for free content rights. It was suggested we continue thinking about these
areas and discuss again at the next initiatives meeting.

JS suggested an event along the lines of the Wikimedia Australia GLAM-WIKI
event. AT suggested this may be good as a follow up to Britain Loves Wikipedia.

Other Initiative proposals (either sequential, or specific ones) (MP)

The Board discussed ways of responding to the other proposed initiatives . It
was agreed that if we get an initiative put forward by someone not currently
active then we should make sure that we discuss it and get them involved.

Date & content of next Initiatives meeting

It was agreed to discuss this at the next regular board meeting on the 5th
August.

Meeting closed at 10:41pm.