2009/11/12 zeyi <zeyi...@googlemail.com>

> Hi, all,
>
> According to the school project we set up, (check here if you need
> more information
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Schools_project), I have
> discussed the possibility with the head of sixth forum, she suggested
> two things. one is we need some documents to prove that "Wikipedia and
> relevant projects have affected school age students on some way",
> which will give more sense to committee who can accept us to host the
> workshop on schools. Second, we need more detail proposal to explain
> our school project and the content of workshop.
>
> I can complete the proposal with cooperating to others. However, I am
> wondering that any one has resource about how Wikipedia and relevant
> projects influence school students? anything is helpful, reports,
> survey, blog and academic articles?

Hi Zeyi,

There is quite little empirical work that I know of relating to the effect
of Wikipedia on children/teenagers. (There is more on potential effects,
general wiki (ie non-WP) literature, etc.) One paper that comes to mind is
Forte & Bruckman [1] - though the sample here was undergraduate students.
The authors have written another chapter on 'Human-Computer Interaction for
kids' - I'm not sure whether it deals with Wikipedia specifically - you
could get in touch with the authors [2], or I could do so (I know one of
them) and report back. Let me know which you'd prefer.

A good, recent paper is Harouni [3], which discusses high school students'
critical research skills in using Wikipedia. Another you might be interested
in is the write-up of a project to improve articles on Latin American
Literature, which had a lot of input from Wikipedians [4] - though again,
it's about graduate students.

Cormac

[1] http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~aforte/ForteBruckmanFromWikipedia.pdf
[2] http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~aforte/index.html ;