On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 01:31 +0000, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/12/2 Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net>:

> >> Ok, here's a first draft:
> >>
> >> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_releases/Free_online_news
> >
> > Steve Virgin's just rewritten this - any comments on the latest
> > version? The current plan is to send it out tomorrow morning.
>
> I like most of that rewrite - talking about how social media is
> already playing a big role in telling the news is a really good idea.
> I've made a few changes, though: I've changed it back to being a
> statement (rather than a kind of op-ed) since that how I've seen other
> organisations do these kind of press releases. I've been told that
> press releases should be ready to just be put straight into a
> newspaper (although that isn't likely to happen with this one - it
> will get incorporated into a larger story, but the style should be the
> same) and no-one would publish an article about what we think, they
> would publish one about us saying what we think. I've also rearranged
> the first paragraph so it isn't such a run-on sentence (I've been
> trying to cut back on my use of commas!). Steve, what do you think? I
> have essentially no experience of writing press releases, so I may
> have it all wrong!

As you probably saw (I think you're the other person I was edit
conflicting with) you need to zap "that" and "the" where not absolutely
essential. Not just for PR, but for all news style; give an impression
you want to say a huge amount more, but are squeezing the message as
much as possible to impart information quickly.

Mike, I edited one of the quotes; it should, under no circumstances, go
out until you okay that.

I disagree about taking out links - most press releases are online now
and can (i.e. most do) include inline links.

I would have preferred not to touch this, but - for once - I think 4+
years Wikinews experience is useful. ;-)

--
Brian McNeil
<brian.mcn...@wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil