2009/12/2 Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net>:

> On 30 Nov 2009, at 18:17, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/30 Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net>:
>>> Does someone want to start drafting a press release that can be sent
>>> out, then?
>>
>> Ok, here's a first draft:
>>
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_releases/Free_online_news
>
> Steve Virgin's just rewritten this - any comments on the latest
> version? The current plan is to send it out tomorrow morning.

I like most of that rewrite - talking about how social media is
already playing a big role in telling the news is a really good idea.
I've made a few changes, though: I've changed it back to being a
statement (rather than a kind of op-ed) since that how I've seen other
organisations do these kind of press releases. I've been told that
press releases should be ready to just be put straight into a
newspaper (although that isn't likely to happen with this one - it
will get incorporated into a larger story, but the style should be the
same) and no-one would publish an article about what we think, they
would publish one about us saying what we think. I've also rearranged
the first paragraph so it isn't such a run-on sentence (I've been
trying to cut back on my use of commas!). Steve, what do you think? I
have essentially no experience of writing press releases, so I may
have it all wrong!