Michael Peel wrote:
> Telegraph today: "A senior judge has ordered Wikipedia, the online
> encyclopedia, to disclose the identity of one of its contributors
> after a mother and her young child pleaded for help in identifying an
> alleged blackmailer."
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6710237/Wikipedia-
> ordered-by-judge-to-break-confidentiality-of-contributor.html

Worth noting what is at [[wmf:Privacy policy#Access to and release of
personally identifiable information]]:

"Release: Policy on Release of Data

It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data
collected in the server logs, or through records in the database via the
CheckUser feature, or through other non-publicly-available methods, may
be released by Wikimedia volunteers or staff, in any of the following
situations:

      law enforcement,"

etc. While the Telegraph may possibly be correct that this is the first
time for a British court to make such an order, I doubt this is the
first instance of that clause being invoked.

Charles