On 23/10/12 17:45, Thomas Dalton wrote:

What do you want to ask the charity commission? I think the guidance is pretty clear. You just need to have it written down somewhere what their role is and what authority they have (ie. none).

I would ask them, given the current age of the charity, the budget, the relationships with stakeholders, the number of staff, the relationship with the Foundation, recent resignations, the work balance between Trustees and staff.... would an advisory board be of positive benefit.

What is the difference between the CIC approach and our approach of having members that hold the board to account?

Members of charities exercise their choices at AGMs and EGMs. Stakeholder groups for CICS might meet on a regular basis (e.g. quarterly?). Scrutiny roles can be defined in various ways, like the CIC model. Housing associations (all registered providers of housing) used to be subject to (tenant) scrutiny, before the TSA was abolished!

http://www.homesandcommunities.co.uk/tsa-archive

My housing association dumped all scrutiny functions as fast as they could when the legislation changed.

Gordo