Thanks Roger,

Both Geograph and Wiki Loves Monuments have established that people like
photography contests, and they are willing to take images and release them
under open licenses. I'd also add that enough of the images are good that
it is worth sifting through the many that aren't.

Geograph is very much focussed on the UK and Eire, though I think they may
be extending to Germany. They definitely aren't global but then neither is
the UK chapter. WLM started in the Netherlands and has now extended to
dozens of countries, but not yet the UK.

WLM is a Wikimedia initiative from one of our fellow chapters, and I'd
agree that means a presumption that we should take part, and that we'd be
welcome participants. The Geograph is a completely separate entity and my
only attempt to contact them has not been responded to after some months (I
emailed them about a probable copyright anomaly). But their licensing is
fully compatible with ours.

The Geograph runs a points based system which started off with the idea of
getting a photo of every square kilometer of the UK, Yes they really do
have images as banal as a bit of driftwood on the shingle that forms the
only dry land in one particular grid square. They've subsequently extended
that model to allow various other ways to get points for subsequent picture
in the same square km. I have whinged slightly here about their poor
coverage of nature reserves, but I'd really like to see the UK chapter
approach them and say "Here is a list of Wikipedia articles that lack
images, would you be willing to add them to Geograph and offer Geograph
points for photographing them? And while we are talking would your members
like a dual load option so that they can also load their images onto
commons?"

Where the Geograph outscores WLM is that they aren't time limited, some of
their photographers have uploaded images from decades ago, and they cover
the same object in different seasons. I think that makes them more
compatible with Wikipedia, September foliage can hide some of the features
we want to photograph, winter snow can highlight earthworks and other
archaeology, past events are best illustrated with old photos, and
waterfalls in particular are much better illustrated with minigalleries
showing winter spate next to summer trickles.

I've taken part in some of the discussions about the future of WLM, and
there is a realisation that it will need to change as we run out of
monuments in some countries, But they do seem very wedded to the idea of it
being a September competition, and I find that very limiting.

My preference would be that we follow both tracks, there is no guarantee
that WLM would want to collaborate with us, but if they did the benefits
would be great for us both - and why not run WLM in cooperation with the
Geograph?

WSC