Hi all,
  as usual, I get surprised every time there are major changes on the
MediaWiki software that are deployed without providing advance warning to
the community.
Every time it's the same story: something stops working on the project. A
gadget, a toolbar or some personalised JS.

This time it was T288141 (see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T288141),
that was deployed in all the Wikisources (then rolled back because
WikiMedia computer scientists are the best) completely disrupting redesigning
the image side of the Page namespace. This affected the toolbars (see
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T296033) and several gadgets around all
the Wikisources.

I am not saying that MediaWiki software shouldn't be improved: it's normal
that we're trying to get all we can from this outdated software. I am just
asking that major changes that affect all the Wikisources should be
announced in every single Village Pump waaay before deploying them on the
projects.

Is it possible, as a Usergroup, to do a little pressure to be considered as
a community and not as guinea pigs on which to deploy new, partially-tested
features?

Alex
*Ruthven* on Wikipedia